u/fran_banane

The Portuguese crew that flew the Canadians home to Vancouver, B.C. from Tenerife are not happy and files official complaint.

The Portuguese crew entered an official complaint over the way they were seconded into the repatriation flight, included nine cabin staff and three pilots. According to this article, airline crew were given only surgical masks & gloves to protect themselves.

Portuguese air crew files a complaint for EuroAtlantic – the airline operating the repatriation flight to bring Canadians from Tenerife.

Crew complained of “insecurity” on board repatriation flight

News that the repatriation flight from Tenerife to Canada of passengers from the Hantavirus-stricken cruise-ship was carrying at least one person positive for the potentially deadly virus will have increased the anxiety already voiced by the Portuguese crew that has complained it felt ‘insecure’ carrying out the flight.

The Canadian started showing symptoms of the virus four days after the repatriation flight (effected on Sunday, May 10) – by which time the Portuguese crew that transported him have returned to their daily routines, and very possibly travelled to other countries, as part of their work.

Canada fucks up again.

x.com
u/fran_banane — 4 days ago

The WHO advises that the benefits of ASYMPTOMATIC testing of high-risk contacts include the following: 1. To ensure cases are recognized and provided supportive treatment as early as possible; 2. To reduce likelihood of transmission, provided results are interpreted cautiously.

Canada, take note. Canada had been resistant to asymptomatic testing. Canada’s logic is flawed.

x.com
u/fran_banane — 4 days ago

The latest positive Canadian had no direct contact. Officials said “the four Canadians isolating in the Island Health region had no known direct contact with the people who fell ill on the ship.”

When will Canadian Health Officials finally admit Hantavirus is airborne?

globalnews.ca
u/fran_banane — 5 days ago

Finally, common sense has prevailed. “As an added precaution, testing has been offered to all identified contacts, even in the absence of symptoms, to further reduce any potential risk and to support early detection” in Ontario, Canada

Keep advocating for public health and safety, Redditors!

WHO probably pressured Canada to
use this as an opportunity to gather helpful data about Hantavirus. Canada is always lagging in critical thinking.

Earlier this week, Jones said the guidance from the province’s top doctor was that it wasn’t appropriate to test people showing no symptoms at the time.

ctvnews.ca
u/fran_banane — 6 days ago

“In any outbreak, the single most important question is: How does it spread? The answer informs the guidance for everything else, including how to stay safe, which protective measures to put in place, and who should be notified during contact tracing. Get it wrong and everything else breaks down."

Source: The Atlantic, Dr. Joseph Allen
Title: The Close, Prolonged Contact Myth

theatlantic.com
u/fran_banane — 9 days ago

Quebec's Health Department says a Canadian resident of the province who was possibly exposed to hantavirus is no longer required to isolate.

Between letting suspected passengers roam free after only a 1 week “self-isolation” for a disease that has upto an 8-week incubation period and Canada refusing to PCR test any passengers from the Hondius ship, this is not going to end well.

thecanadianpressnews.ca
u/fran_banane — 9 days ago

OpEd in the New York Times: “Public health officials, from the W.H.O. to U.S. officials, would be more helpful if they stopped constantly reassuring people about the likelihood of future events they can’t accurately calculate,” Zeynep Tufekci writes about the hantavirus outbreak.

Titled: A New Viral Outbreak. The Same Mistakes All Over Again.
In the New York Times. It prefaces the risks of trusting all highly exposed passengers to “self-isolate” on their own.

nytimes.com
u/fran_banane — 10 days ago

Canada refuses to PCR test the 10 passengers of the cruise ship back in Canada. The couple that disembarked early on April 24 are back at Grey-Bruce, Ontario, Canada not in quarantine. Canadian Health Officials are averse to testing for Hantavirus.

The “evidence” that warrants testing is being on the Hondius cruise ship for weeks. The Canadian “experts” are very wrong and their decision not to test is very costly. Every other country: Spain, France and even the U.S. has tested their passengers for Hantavirus. Why not Canada? What are they afraid to find out?

ctvnews.ca
u/fran_banane — 10 days ago

Spain just confirmed another hantavirus-positive passenger tied to the MV Hondius cluster.

One of the evacuated Spanish passengers tested positive for hantavirus

Count is now 11

l.bfmtv.com
u/fran_banane — 11 days ago

How did it spread? —> “the route of infection in secondary cases was possibly through inhalation of droplets or aerosolized virions.” Prolonged close contact is NOT necessary and that it’s spread through the air.

x.com
u/fran_banane — 11 days ago

We are now 13 days from the ‘mean’ date of symptoms from Cases 2-8. If there is to be a new generation of cases they should appear, on average, at about May 19 or 22 days from Gen 2.

x.com
u/fran_banane — 11 days ago

The CDC quietly changed its hantavirus protocol on Sunday. High-risk exposures now include being within 2 rows of a known case on a plane.

reddit.com
u/fran_banane — 11 days ago

At least one American who was a passenger aboard the MV Hondius has tested positive for hantavirus, and another has shown mild symptoms, according to HHS.

abcnews.link
u/fran_banane — 11 days ago

A British national had disembarked from the cruise ship MV Hondius to the South Atlantic island of Tristan da Cunha, where they live, with a suspected case of hantavirus.

Tristan da Cunha, in a group of volcanic islands in the South Atlantic Ocean, is Britain’s most remote inhabited overseas territory – accessible only by boat, it has no airstrip and a population of 221.

Soldiers dropped oxygen supplies and medical aid to Britain’s most remote overseas territory

theguardian.com
u/fran_banane — 11 days ago

The four Canadians who were aboard a cruise ship stricken by a rare hantavirus outbreak are being flown to British Columbia. They will isolate in pre-arranged lodgings for a three-week isolation period, which may be extended up to 42 days, due to the hantavirus' incubation period.

Several Canadians have been told to isolate after coming into contact with infected passengers.

A couple from the Grey Bruce region of Ontario disembarked from the ship in April 4 in St. Helena before the outbreak was declared.

Four other Canadians — from Quebec, Alberta and Ontario — were not on the ship but may have come into contact with someone infected with hantavirus while flying, are also being monitored.

cbc.ca
u/fran_banane — 11 days ago

Passengers from the hantavirus-struck cruise ship MV Hondius have begun disembarking. Dressed in blue protective clothing and face masks, the first five passengers were escorted by the civil guard.

abcnews.link
u/fran_banane — 12 days ago

Canada has sent a flight to Tenerife, Spain to pick up four Canadian passengers who were on the MV Hondius, the site of a hantavirus outbreak.

Passengers are being ferried to shore in small boats and taken directly to the airport on sealed buses.

Once they reach the shore they will be assessed for about 10 minutes. Police will check their passports and then they will be driven straight to the plane.

It's unclear whether the plane is a charter flight or a military aircraft. CBC asked the Public Health Agency of Canada and Global Affairs Canada for details.

cbc.ca
u/fran_banane — 12 days ago