
Sevier County brings in attorney to assess controversial DR Horton development off of Red Bank Road
Elana Mutnick - WBIR:
>Sevier County brought in an attorney Monday during its Sevier County Emergency Services Committee meeting to examine the Red Bank Road housing development. Attorney Kyle Baisley told the committee and people in attendance that he reviewed the development, the property’s history and the city’s approval of the project.
>His conclusion: The county does not have a legal basis to stop the first phase. “There really is nothing that we can do or what I recommend that the county do at this juncture to, to challenge or somehow try to halt, you know, phase one,” he said.
>Baisley said the property was properly annexed into Sevierville in 2008 and that the first phase was approved under the city’s existing regulations. He also advised the county against filing a lawsuit he does not believe it could win.
>“Could something be filed? Absolutely. Does it have any merit or ability, in my opinion, to prevail? Absolutely not,” Baisley said. "I don't want us to get noisy and inactive when we really don't have anything legally to stand on. I would rather us ... keep our powder dry and make sure that when we do get involved, we get involved in a meaningful way."
>Instead, Baisley said the county should stay involved as future phases of the development are considered. “It doesn't mean that we're not gonna be involved going forward for this development and, and others,” he said. “We're being proactive in making sure that, you know, any future phases or development activity gets a proper look."
>D.R. Horton’s first phase includes 223 townhomes off Red Bank Road, the latest version of a larger proposal for the property. This comes after members of the Sevierville Planning and Zoning Commission decided not to move forward with D.R. Horton's original master plan in Oct. 2025, which would have brought more than 1000 new single-family homes to the area. Three months later, Sevierville leaders approved the relocation of Red Bank Road.
>That road has one entrance and one exit, which has been a major concern for nearby residents. Neighbors have repeatedly told county and city officials they are concerned about emergency access and traffic.
>Terry Sailor, who lives about a mile from the development's location, told the committee Monday she worries about what could happen during an emergency. “God forbid that there be an emergency that can't get through to us. That's where the danger and the disaster loom,” she said.
>Patty Suggs, another concerned resident, said she believes the development creates risks for emergency responders. She is a nurse whose husband works in EMS. “I feel like it's a risk for our firefighters. It's a risk for our EMS system. It's a risk for the people there,” Suggs said.
>Baisley said the county can't stop phase one, but he said officials can have a greater role in future phases. The county also plans to look into whether the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office can provide input on the development. For residents like Sailor, she plans to stay a part of the entire process. “What's going to happen when there's more cars than our road can handle? That's a big problem,” she said. "You have a big voice. Please speak up for us."
Previously:
1 year ago: Residents voice opposition to DR Horton development off Pittman Center Road
10 months ago: Residents voice opposition to DR Horton development off Pittman Center Road