

'Ringleader' in Manitoba high school hockey hazing complaint loses suspension appeal | CBC News
cbc.caOld Age Security payments getting a boost — maximum from $743 to $752, and $817 to $827 this week
nationalpost.comWhiteshell trail to remain closed until safety measures put in place after brothers drown | CBC News
cbc.caTo the guy driving 60 km/hr on highway 8 with hazards on
Fuck you.
Pull over to let people around you.
Family of boy who drowned in Sturgeon Falls in 2023 'furious' at lack of safety enhancements | CBC News
cbc.caManitoba government advises East St. Paul to disclose identities of election candidates
Manitoba's NDP government is advising East St. Paul to disclose the identity of its election candidates — something the Winnipeg-area municipality has no plans to do until the final weeks of this year's campaign.
Voters in the Rural Municipality of East St. Paul, located northeast of Winnipeg, go to the polls on Oct. 28. Candidates for mayor have been eligible to register their campaigns since May 1, while registration for council candidates began June 30.
Unlike the City of Winnipeg and most other municipalities, East St. Paul has not published the names of its mayoral and council candidates so far in this campaign.
Community activists say the secrecy raises public safety concerns, reduces transparency and may lead to less competition on election day.
Chief administrative officer Suzanne Ward said the municipality won't publish candidate names until late September, after the nomination period has closed.
"There is no legislative requirement to post candidates' names on a municipal website," Ward said Wednesday via email.
"Once nomination papers have been received, accepted by the senior election official and signed off, they become available for public review in accordance with the legislation."
The earliest that could happen is Sept. 23, the deadline for nominated candidates to withdraw from the campaign.
East St. Paul also has an "election candidate disclosure" procedure, effective since Nov. 1, 2022, requiring the municipality not to disclose whether any individual has registered as a candidate until the close of nominations.
Ward said this week this policy is unused and that she was not even aware it existed until recently.
Nonetheless, it is unclear whether East St. Paul even discloses the identity of registered candidates to members of the public who visit the municipal office in person in Birds Hill.
When CBC News visited the office Wednesday, a municipal employee referred the query to senior election official Heidi Speers, who in turn said via text she could not respond until Friday.
Glen Simard, Manitoba's Minister of Municipal and Northern Relations, said his government advises all municipalities, including East St. Paul, to disclose the identity of registered candidates as soon as possible.
In a statement, Simard said while provincial legislation doesn't require candidate registrations to be made public before nominations, the NDP government believes more transparency helps build public confidence in the electoral process.
"We strongly encourage municipalities to make candidate registration information available as soon as it is received," Simard said Wednesday in a statement.
"Our advice has consistently been that providing this information early is a best practice that supports openness, fairness and public trust."
Community activists decry secrecy
Brian Wachko, a self-disclosed council candidate for East St. Paul's Ward 2, said the municipal decision to keep candidate identities secret has a number harmful consequences, including reduced public safety.
"If somebody comes to my door and saying that they're a potential candidate, I should have the ability to contact the elections office and say, 'Is this person legitimate?' They're asking for my signature, asking for personal information. They may be asking for a donation," Wachko said Wednesday in an interview at his home in East St. Paul.
"There should be some kind of verification process with this."
Wachko also said voters ought to know the identity of candidates because once they register, they have access to voter lists.
He also said secrecy may dissuade some prospective candidates from running at all.
"It's been very unclear if the incumbents are stepping forward and running again. It's unclear if there's other new candidates that want to run and have have registered," he said.
Craig Hodkinson, a Wachko political ally, also said the secrecy could result in more candidates getting acclaimed.
"You could think that everything is going to be contested and then find out somebody gets in by acclamation and there'd be no way for you to know one way or another," said Hodkinson, who does not live in Ward 2 and thus can not vote for Wachko.
"I think everybody wants every ward to be contested."
No comment from existing council
None of the five elected members of East St. Paul's council offered any opinion about the municipality's candidate disclosure policy.
Mayor Carla Devlin did not respond to requests for comment. Neither did Couns. Brian Imhoff and Brian Duval.
Couns. Charles Posthumus and Orest Horechko declined to comment on the policy. Both, however, confirmed they are running in the upcoming election.
Posthumus, who was first elected Ward 4 councillor in 2006, said via text message he intends to run once more. Horechko, who has represented Ward 2 since 2014, said he is running for mayor.
By: Bartley Kives · CBC News
Posted: Jul 09, 2026 5:00 AM CDT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
Bell mobility increase
What’s the point of signing a contract if they can increase prices halfway thru the contract?
Former Shared Health CEO worked one month in 2025 before firing, got nearly $1M in compensation
From Wpg Free Press, so paywall! but it reads in part: "The former CEO of Shared Health received nearly $1 million in salary and other pay last year, despite working for only one month before being fired following a provincial health-care system audit.
Lanette Siragusa was paid $988,520 in 2025 and was at the top of the health authority’s latest compensation disclosure.
Siragusa and Winnipeg Regional Health Authority leader Mike Nader were removed from their roles in February 2025 following the release of a financial audit that showed apart from Southern Health, the province’s other health regions regularly overspent their budgets."
Canadian boy, 11, died from rabies after waking up with bat on his mouth
Only took 2 years to release story
Off-road vehicle deaths 'devastating,' Manitoba ATV association says after 8 fatalities last year | CBC News
cbc.caWinnipeg woman 'traumatized' after dog killed in North Kildonan attack, family says | CBC News
cbc.caImmigrants of Winnipeg: which restaurant serves the best food from your home country?
Saw this posted elsewhere and thought that it would be a good question to ask here as well.
U.S. ambassador, Manitoba premier met in Winnipeg on Friday
U.S. Ambassador Pete Hoekstra met with Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew on Friday, the premier's office said.
Hoekstra arrived in Winnipeg on Thursday. CBC News observed the ambassador entering a hotel at The Forks.
Hoekstra and Kinew discussed agriculture, mining, steel, energy, the aerospace sector and Churchill on Friday, said Amy Tuckett-McGimpsey, a spokesperson for the premier.
The ambassador requested the meeting, Tuckett-McGimpsey said.
Kinew declined a request to speak to CBC News about the meeting.
Hoekstra has made a series of provocative statements since he was appointed by U.S. President Donald Trump as that country's ambassador to Canada.
The ambassador said earlier this month that making Canada the 51st state would be "a great discussion for the president" and Prime Minister Mark Carney.
Carney said he would not respond or react to every U.S. provocation.
By: CBC News
Posted: Jun 26, 2026 5:42 PM CDT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
CIB and partners to invest $165M to expand broadband service in Manitoba
Would be a lot cheaper with Starlink?
Anand announces $35M to boost Caribbean security, tackle Haiti's gang crisis
ctvnews.caParents of bullied boy speak out after son's head pushed in toilet with feces in it
More educational assistants and an anti-bullying program will go into a Brandon school after a 12-year-old boy had his head forced into a toilet with human feces in it.
Lincoln Yaciuk told his mom and dad that while riding home on a chartered bus, his head was pushed in a toilet that had feces in it.
"Heartbreaking that something of that magnitude happened. It was just kind of unbelievable how something like that could take place on a field trip," said Lincoln's dad, Jeff.
"It still kind of feels like a really bad nightmare," said Laura-Lise, Lincoln's mom.
Earlier this month, Lincoln and his Grade 6 classmates from Waverly Park School were heading back to Brandon after a day-long trip to Winnipeg to see a Goldeyes baseball game.
Lincoln said he was in the back of the bus when some boys threw a hat into the toilet.
"Hat gets in toilet, I'm getting shoved in the bathroom, forced to pick it out, and they shoved my head into the toilet," Lincoln said.
"And then they say I have a poop stain on the back of my shirt."
Laura-Lise said she contacted Brandon School Division about the June 3 incident, but it took three days before she got a response.
It took another week, during which she contacted school board trustees, before the parents had a face-to-face meeting with the assistant superintendent and the school's vice-principal.
Brandon School Division told CBC in an email on Thursday that as soon as it became "aware of this matter," it launched an investigation "in accordance with division policies and procedures" and met with parents. The investigation has been completed, the email said.
No other information was provided other than a statement that included, "We remain committed to addressing concerns and fostering a school culture where all students feel safe, supported, and respected."
Laura-Lise says the school division told her that educational assistants will be brought in to support teachers, and an anti-bullying programming will be implemented at her son's school.
"I know the school division doesn't have space for every class to have extra EAs. But if there's a rowdy class and it's known, being able to have that available, I think it is important."
There are two types of bullying, said Val Caldwell, a child safety advocate and public speaker who has consulted with RCMP’s ICE unit and has presented to thousands of grade 5-12 students and parents about online safety and bullying over the past 15 years.
One type is very aggressive and in your face, she said. The other involves online bullies who hide behind social media accounts posting "harmful, hurtful things."
"The thing that hurts my heart with bullying … when you are being victimized, your instinct is, why don't they like me? What am I doing wrong?" said Caldwell.
"It is not an issue about you. There's not something wrong with you. There's not something you need to fix or change. When people are bullying, it's coming from a place of their own pain."
Caldwell said it's equally hard for kids to speak up to a bully and to stand up for someone else who's being victimized.
Lincoln said he has been bullied in the past but no one at the school took action.
"Whenever I try to stand up for myself, no one does anything about it. So then eventually I just stopped telling the teachers and I just did nothing," Lincoln said.
But Lincoln's older sister, Danica, decided she would stand up for him.
"I was upset, very shocked, because this has been happening for, like, a long time. And this was a big, final straw kind of thing," Danica said.
Danica opened the Instagram account @stopthesilencewp. In one day, it racked up more than 350 reactions, 50 comments and 222 shares.
"I wanted people to know that this is happening," she said.
"I wanted to share that this is an ongoing issue in Brandon and share other people's story that they have about bullying."
WATCH | Parents say bullies pushed son's head into toilet: https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.7245190
By: Michele McDougall · CBC News
Posted: Jun 23, 2026 5:00 AM CDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago