

The Tiny Spanish Territory of Ceuta Is Grappling With a New Migrant Crisis An estimated 5,000 people are living in open-air, makeshift camps that have popped up across the exclave of Ceuta
The Tiny Spanish Territory of Ceuta Is Grappling With a New Migrant Crisis
An estimated 5,000 people are living in open-air, makeshift camps that have popped up across the exclave of Ceuta
By
Benoit Faucon | Photography by Imane Djamil for WSJ
Aug. 18, 2026 at 10:00 pm ET
CEUTA, Spain—An abandoned warehouse complex overlooking the Moroccan border in this tiny Spanish territory has become a squalid village, with hundreds of migrants living under sheets tied to the sides of buildings and sleeping on broken-down cars and ripped sofas.
Three weeks ago, more than 72,000 migrants poured into Ceuta, overwhelming authorities and causing many residents to close up their shops and stay inside their homes. Seeing little hope of making it to continental Europe, most of the migrants left within days. But thousands who stayed behind, refusing to leave, are creating a humanitarian crisis in the Spanish exclave—and a growing headache for local residents.
Ceuta Mayor Juan Jesus Vivas says as many as 5,000 migrants stayed—a large number compared with the territory’s population of 83,000. Makeshift migrant camps have popped up across Ceuta, one of Spain’s territories in North Africa.
Now, anger is growing among the locals in Ceuta, many of whom blame the government for not doing enough to take control and bring an end to what they see as a dangerous situation for them and the migrants. Some in the territory, which is home to a mix of Christians and Muslims, have sought to help feed and care for the mostly Moroccan migrants. Many say they no longer feel safe with groups of young migrants roaming the streets.
“I have been deprived of my human rights to freedom and security,” said Immaculada Heras Carmona, on the verge of tears. She and her friends go jogging in groups for their safety. “What is the army doing? I am not against immigration. But it’s out of control.”
The 50-year-old Heras Carmona, who works at Ceuta’s University Hospital, said emergency services there are overwhelmed and struggling to provide care for the migrants. As she spoke on the beach in the city center, three wounded migrants confirmed her claim.
One had a festering cut on his shin that he said he got from a fall on the rocks near the beach. Another had a swollen knee and was struggling to walk. He said he had called an ambulance, but it had never turned up.
A community leader in Ceuta, Sabah Hamad, has been collecting donations to feed hundreds of migrants a day. She usually starts her mornings stepping around dozens of young men who sleep outside her home hoping for food or a fresh shower. “This city is sick,” she said of the conditions.
The Spanish government says it is responding to the crisis. On Monday, it said it would open space to house 1,500 migrants in a parking lot, a playing field and an equestrian center.
Elma Saiz, the minister for inclusion, social security and migration, said food and basic healthcare had been provided daily to 4,000 migrants by the Red Cross. She said the government, in conjunction with the international organization, had allocated 6.5 million euros of emergency funds to cope with the new arrivals. She also acknowledged the great work that had been done by community organizations in Ceuta to assist the migrants.
Migrants first poured into Ceuta in late July after messages circulated on social mediasaying the border would be open and suggesting that a recent Spanish Supreme Court ruling would make it more difficult for the government to return them. Tens of thousands scaled fences and swam around a breakwater separating Moroccan territory from Spain.
At least 90 people died in the rush into Ceuta. Videos of the border being overrun went viral and prompted France to strengthen border security. Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni threatened to suspend the Schengen rules that allow for the free movement of people and goods within the European Union.
The migrants were halted in Ceuta, which is subject to special border checks as a part of the rules regulating Spain’s territories in North Africa. The Spanish government appeared to quickly get control of the situation, working with Morocco to send tens of thousands of the migrants back almost as quickly as they had arrived.
But they appear to have little answer for what to do with the thousands of migrants who have refused to go back. The migrants, in interviews, said they believe the Spanish government is simply leaving the migrants to fester in the camps in the hopes that they will give up their quest to make it to continental Europe and return home.
Many of the migrants staying in Ceuta are young Moroccans who say they faced limited opportunities for better jobs and lives in their native country. Some had jobs and were highly educated. The destitution they are now facing in Ceuta is a new experience for them, but they say the hardship is worth it for the chance at entering Europe.
Hakim Yahya, 20, said that before he came to Ceuta, he had tried unsuccessfully to join a Spanish soccer club. He said he stays below the radar by keeping a stylish haircut. “They think I am a hipster,” he said of the police.
Most of the migrants in Ceuta are Moroccan, although some are from other parts of Africa. One 16-year-old who declined to give his name said he was from the West African nation of Guinea. He had ended up in Morocco after crossing through al-Qaeda-held areas of Mali. When he saw the wave of migrants crossing in late July, he joined in.
Most of the migrants said they had no plans to leave Ceuta—unless they were headed for continental Europe. Community leaders in Ceuta said if the stalemate isn’t resolved soon, it will put the safety of both the migrants and residents here at risk.
Young women who are part of the migrant population are particularly vulnerable. Abdellah Mustafa, who runs a neighborhood association in an Arab-dominated area of Ceuta, has set up a small camp for women, protected by 5-meter-high barriers. He said he has heard several accounts from migrants of alleged sexual assaults.
Hamad, the community leader, says she is reaching a breaking point. “It breaks your heart when you see a person who has been waiting for two hours, and you have nothing to offer,” she said. “We can’t go on like this. Moroccans, they have to get out.”
Apple reshapes EU app store fees with new charges for alternative distribution
firstpost.comGermany warns EU electricity tax plan threatens national sovereignty
youtube.comU.S. to “Take Any Actions Necessary” to Protect Companies from “Unreasonable” EU Sustainability Reporting Regulations
esgtoday.comSpain disregarded Ceuta warnings before migrant rush, say border workers' unions
reuters.comUS raises pressure on EU to 'deliver' on non-tariff trade commitments
thedailystar.netEU countries scale back plan to fund power grids, document shows
reddit.comEuropean Union seeks to reopen communication channel with Russia
Anger at ‘send them back’ chants by rightwing MEPs after EU migration law vote Other lawmakers respond with ‘shame on you’ in heated confrontation over passing of plan to increase deportations
EU leaders meet in Brussels to discuss Ukraine, China shock and €2 trillion budget
Europe Tries to Take On China Without Launching a New Trade War The Group of Seven industrial nations this week pledged an ambitious target to diversify away from China, adding momentum to the European Union’s own push to counter a growing trade imbalance with the world’s biggest export engine.
EU wrestles over how to tackle China export flood Brussels (Belgium) (AFP) – EU leaders will grapple on Thursday over whether the bloc needs new beefed-up trade defences to curb the surge of Chinese exports deemed an existential threat to European industry and jobs by Brussels.
EU parliament backs law allowing offshore detention centres
reddit.comKallas Plan To Punish Israel Rejected, Again
reddit.comEurope is gearing up for a trade fight with China. But will it change anything? Brussels currently lacks the firepower to win a trade clash with China – and Beijing is not in a mood to make concessions, analysts warn
China Shock 2.0: Surging Chinese exports threaten Europe’s economy, raising concern at G7 summit
ECB May Raise Key Rate Again if Evidence Supports, Chief Economist Says Energy prices haven’t returned to their prewar levels and Lane doesn’t rule out a further rate rise
ECB May Raise Key Rate Again if Evidence Supports, Chief Economist Says
Energy prices haven’t returned to their prewar levels and Lane doesn’t rule out a further rate rise
By Paul Hannon
WSJ PRO Updated June 16, 2026 at 10:23 am ET
The European Central Bank may again raise its key interest rate, despite the “welcome” news of a potential peace deal between the U.S. and Iran, Chief Economist Philip Lane said Tuesday.
The ECB last week raised its key rate to 2.25% from 2%, becoming the first major institution to do so since the start of the Middle East conflict in late February.
That decision was taken before Iran and the U.S. said on Sunday they have agreed on an interim peace deal.
Lane said that while energy prices have fallen since that news, they haven’t returned to their prewar levels, and he didn’t rule out a further rise in the key rate.
“Whether we do more or stay at the new level will be dependent on incoming data,” he said.
The ECB has outlined a number of different paths for the eurozone economy that mainly depend on how high energy prices rise and for how long they stay above prewar levels.
Lane said future prices as implied by trading in energy markets are now closer to the ECB’s milder scenarios than to the more severe outcomes it has mapped.
Other central banks have taken a similarly cautious approach to the prospect of a lasting peace deal, with the Bank of Japan Tuesday warning that it may raise its key rate again after lifting borrowing costs to their highest level in 31 years.
Many details of the potential peace agreement are yet to be settled, and it is unclear exactly when the Strait of Hormuz will reopen fully and energy supplies from the Persian Gulf will return to prewar levels.
“It’s early days, it’s welcome news,” Lane said.
However, a peace deal is unlikely to significantly cool eurozone inflation during the remainder of the year, leaving it above the ECB’s 2% target. The inflation rate rose to 3.2% in May from 3% in April, having been below target in the first two months of the year.
“What we have now already in the pipeline of inflation is a year of inflation above 3%,” Lane said.
While a further increase in borrowing costs is possible, Lane said the ECB isn’t committed to any rate path and is deliberately “drawing a veil over where we might go in the future.”
“That’s really a kind of guidance to everyone to recognize we live in a world that’s hard to predict,” he said.