Knives out: Internal fighting skewers Trump’s beef tariff plan
President Donald Trump’s efforts to lower beef prices has divided top administration officials and some of his closest allies — prompting the White House to halt plans to temporarily reduce import tariffs, according to four people familiar with the talks.
The White House initially postponed Trump’s widely telegraphed plans for an executive order on beef imports last week to give officials more time to negotiate the scope before shelving it amid ongoing disagreements, according to four people who were granted anonymity to discuss private discussions.
The split highlights the dilemma the president faces in trying to balance consumers’ concerns about rising grocery prices with those of his supporters in the cattle industry. The average cost of ground beef on store shelves has increased by roughly 12 percent since last summer and more than 24 percent since Trump took office last year — a critical example of affordability pressures that have dogged Republicans in the lead-up to the midterms.
A senior White House official told POLITICO that the executive order is still “a work in progress.”
“What he wants at the end of the day is for something that will protect farmers and put farmers and ranchers in a good position,” the senior official said of Trump. “And so his directive to everyone was: ‘Get me the best possible thing I can sign that protects ranchers and farmers.’”
Top White House officials including National Economic Council Director Kevin Hassett and deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller have pushed for executive action that they argue would lower prices for consumers without having a significant impact on ranchers, according to three of the four people familiar with the matter.
Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins, meanwhile, has long opposed any plan that would increase imports and anger American ranchers.
One of the four people — a White House official close to the conversations — said last week’s executive order was delayed after Rollins “at the last minute went into the Oval and threw a fit.”
Another person familiar with the discussions said there were “several” other Cabinet-level officials beside Rollins “who expressed concerns regarding the executive actions directly” on Monday.
A USDA spokesperson told POLITICO that the department would not comment on private meetings between Trump and Rollins.
“But anybody who is remotely familiar with Secretary Rollins knows she doesn’t throw fits,” the spokesperson said. “The President, and the President alone, is leading the greatest team ever assembled to make America great again, and Secretary Rollins is proud to work as part of it.”
The White House did not respond to a request for comment on Wednesday. The administration has said it continues to explore policy options to lower beef and other grocery prices.
Trump has fixated on ways to lower beef prices, holding private meetings with Cabinet officials and industry representatives at the White House to find solutions in recent months, even as the Iran war threatens to further inflate grocery costs and some White House officials warn that inaction on beef could cost Republicans in November.
“Should we lose the House in November, this beef fight will be one of the key moments of the year that show how efforts to respond to public demands were strangled” by Rollins, said the White House official close to the negotiations.
Trump told aides after returning from trade talks in China late last week that he couldn’t move forward with the reworked plan to temporarily ease tariffs on imported beef, according to one of the people familiar with the talks. The tweaked plan would have focused on waiving some tariffs on a certain amount of beef imports without reducing the tariffs across the board for 200 days.
One ag industry representative said they’re still anticipating the White House could make a move, arguing that it would be “a mistake to ever assume something is ‘dead’ in this administration. They have plenty of shelf space.”
Tanking the executive order would be a major win for ranchers and beef industry groups, which have argued that it would disincentivize long-term growth of the low domestic cattle herd and displace demand for U.S. beef.
“I genuinely believe Rollins is trying to do the right thing here,” one ag industry representative said.
Rollins acknowledged during a Fox Business interview Wednesday that a “perfect storm” of conditions is increasing beef prices.
“It’s really important as we continue our national security quest to ensure we’re able to feed ourselves and not rely on other countries,” Rollins said.
The American Farm Bureau Federation published an economic analysis last week showing that beef imports are already at a high level and that even a short-term reduction in tariffs would hurt beef producers “at precisely the moment ranchers are weighing whether conditions justify rebuilding the U.S. cattle herd.”
And farm-state Hill Republicans, who rarely break with Trump on agriculture policy issues, publicly bashed the idea of boosting imports.
“Facilitating the import of foreign beef is not the solution,” House Agriculture Committee Chair G.T. Thompson (R-Pa.) told POLITICO last week. “The administration needs to realize consumers have a choice when it comes to protein. And if they find they can’t afford one type of protein, there are multiple others, chicken and pork and turkey. So I don’t support opening our market to more imported beef.”
The White House has not briefed industry leaders or Capitol Hill on the status of the negotiations since officials delayed the executive orders last week.
“I’ve not gotten an update, but obviously I’ve paid close attention to all that,” said Rep. Adrian Smith (R-Neb.), who represents a top beef production state. “I want to make sure we get the policy right.”