Rebels bombshell: RA claims club wanted Vic taxpayers to foot $10m bill
Bombshell claims have been aired in the Federal Court that the Melbourne Rebels attempted to secure $10 million from the Victorian Government, which they were then going to use to pay their overdue tax bill of nearly $12 million.
Rugby Australia’s barrister, Tony Bannon SC, made the claim in his opening address as the governing body hit back at the Rebels, who launched legal action after the club was axed from the Super Rugby Pacific competition in 2024.
Rebels chairman Paul Docherty is due in the stands on Thursday, and will face cross examination and claims that he allegedly sent RA chief executive Phil Waugh an email on August 22, 2023, suggesting the Victorian Government could be convinced to hand out $10 million of taxpayer money to the club.
“Their focus, Your Honour, we’ll hear when one considers all the evidence on saving their position, was getting a $10 million grant from the Victorian Government, that was who they were looking to,” Mr Bannon said.
“And the effect of what their efforts were, and they believed they had influence with the government, particularly Mr Doherty, was that they would persuade somehow rather the Victorian Government to pay the Rebels’ debt owed to the Commonwealth Government, rather reverse of most budget allocation debates and premiers conferences, but that is what they were pursuing and focusing on, and ultimately a misguided hope.”
The Rebels failed to secure any additional funding from the Victorian Government.
The Rebels entered voluntary administration in 2024, with $21.9 million of debt, including $11.7 million owed to the Australian Taxation Office.
It is RA’s claims that discussions between Mr Docherty and Mr Waugh indicated that if there was to be any takeover of the club by the national union, it would occur once their debts had been cleared.
Mr Bannon quoted from an email allegedly sent by Mr Docherty to Mr Waugh, telling the court: “I want to reiterate our discussions in the position we are trying to take here for the benefit of everyone to ensure centralisation works for RA and the Melbourne Rebels. We do not, did not, have never expected RA to take on the liabilities on our Rebels balance sheet. Nor is that legally possible to do unless you bought the shares out of the business while that liability was still there, something I wouldn’t personally advise any director to do.”
RA also rejected claims from the Rebels that they were kept in the dark about a proposed plan to merge them with New Zealand-based team Moana Pasifika, to call the new team Rebels Pasifika.
Reading from Mr Docherty’s affidavit, Mr Bannon quotes the former chairman writing that his board supported the merger: “The board requests RA accelerate the commencement of the restructuring of the Rebels with Moana Pasifika to become the Melbourne Pasifika Rebels.”
A participation letter sent by RA to the Rebels in July 2023 had mentioned that as part of the 2025 British & Irish Lions series, the touring side would play against “Rebels Pasifika”.
RA’s claim is that there was no query or complaint from Docherty, Rebels chief executive Baden Stephenson, or any club officials about why a merged team appeared in an official proposal of scheduled games for the Lions tour, after the Rebels had submitted to the court earlier this week they were blindsided by the merger idea.
Mr Bannon said the fact five former Rebels directors – Georgia Widdup, Tim North KC, Lyndsey Cattermole, Neil Hay and Gary Gray – were not involved in these proceedings suggested the board wasn’t united in its views, but rather this case reflected the thinking of Docherty.
“The only evidence you’re going to hear from is from Mr Docherty and (fellow board member) Mr (Owain) Stone,” Mr Bannon said.
“You’re not going to hear from, and missing in action are, the other five living directors.
“The idea you could prove a relevant mind of the company, where not only, only two people say anything about it all … the other five obviously admit of all the usual inferences.”
Earlier on Wednesday, the Rebels’ barrister, Bernard Quinn KC, played a video of Waugh addressing Rebels members at a function in Fitzroy in November 2023.
Mr Quinn suggested Mr Waugh misled the group by talking about longstanding partnerships, while aware that the Rebels faced financial challenges RA could not support.
The matter was briefly adjourned just before noon while legal assistants figured out how to play the video of Waugh without reverberation throughout the courtroom.
In the video played to court, Mr Waugh said: “We’ll only get better as a code and as a game if we work together. And I think that what we’re doing here with our partners, and I always talk about partnership, not about being a one- or a two-year deal … but I genuinely think we’re all in this for the long haul.”
Mr Quinn said: “What you could infer from that was that in any forum which involves discussions where there’s Mr Stephenson and Mr Docherty there, you don’t talk about the club as if it’s got an endless future and is part of the ongoing competition for the long haul if it’s not going to be the case. It gives a flavour to the lack of disclosure that in official forum.”
But Justice Cameron Moore, who is presiding over the case, hit back at that claim.
“He’s supposed to communicate at a function like that, which is obviously a lighthearted event?” Mr Moore queried.
More Coverage
Watch: The blow-up that landed Eddie Jones a six-week ban
Watch: The blow-up that landed Eddie Jones a six-week ban
“Whether it’s an after-dinner speech or in a drinks function, but it’s not an event where you set out to talk about structural changes.
“There may be other occasions where that type of discussion is appropriate.”
The case continues.
The cross examination of Docherty will be enlightening.