Adapt or die: Wallabies great gives ‘boring’ rugby a mauling
​
Former Wallabies coach John Connolly believes rugby must change its ways or the game will “die in this part of the world” despite next year’s World Cup on Australian shores.
Off the back of a soldout NRL Magic Round and the rise of AFL, Connolly has real fears for the game’s survival. The title-winning former Reds coach, who helped bring through Wallabies greats John Eales and Tim Horan, believes the game has become boring.
“I reckon next year when they go down to 10 teams in (Super) rugby, hopefully it’ll be home and away, hopefully there’ll be law changes, and if we’re not smart, rugby will die in this part of the world compared to the northern hemisphere,” said Connolly, who was a national selector at the 1991 World Cup before taking the reins ahead of the 2007 tournament.
“Rugby league and Australian rules are taking over the hearts and minds of people. The (rugby) crowds in the last 15 years have gone through the floor.”
In particular, Connolly stressed that rugby officials had to make the game “more attractive” and move away from the incessant rolling mauls, pick-and-drives and box kicks that are regularly deployed tactics in the modern game.
“I get bored watching it,” said Connolly, who specialised in forward play as a coach. “Penalty, kick to the corner, drive it over. Rinse and repeat. Get within four or five metres, pick and go each side, pick and go each side, and you get bored watching it.
“We need World Rugby sign-off for more changes, which we’ve done in the past. Things like tries within the 10 metres, the pick-and-go tries, should only be worth two points. Driving from lineouts should be limited to four men in the lineout. If we don’t make those changes and make it attractive to the fans, then rugby will struggle. It really will. It was evident watching this Magic Round.”
Connolly’s cries will likely be laughed at by those in the north, with French and South African officials at World Rugby meetings this year accusing those in Australia and New Zealand of trying to depower the scrum.
“There are different situations in the north and the south, their problems are different to ours,” said Connolly, who has coached in France and England.
He also argued Super Rugby Pacific needed to return to a home-and-away competition, especially with Moana Pasifika set to be dissolved after failing to secure enough financial support. “It has to be home-and-away because it’s perceived as a Mickey Mouse competition,” he said. “We played each other twice in Australia and only met the Kiwis once. That’s not a fair-dinkum competition.”
The Australian understands the competition could move from 14 rounds to 16 rounds, with Australian sides twice playing each other, Fiji and three of New Zealand’s teams, as well as the two other Kiwi sides once. A conference system, where the top two in Australia and Fiji and the top two in New Zealand, could also make up a four-team finals series.
It’s understood the move is being pushed by broadcasters, who believe it could revitalise an increasingly New Zealand-dominated competition. The top four spots in this year’s ladder are made up by New Zealand franchises.
As officials on Tuesday celebrated the 500-day milestone until the World Cup kicking off in Perth next year, Connolly said he believed the Wallabies, who won just five of 15 Tests in 2025, needed to expand their game under incoming coach Les Kiss, who will take over from Joe Schmidt after the three Nations Championship fixtures in July.
“You know how Australia plays,” Connolly said. “It’s off the blind, box kicks, and their whole premise is to hold on to possession without taking any risks. Teams know that. We’re so predictable with how we play the game, and other teams are not fools and they’ve cottoned on. So we’ve got to change how we play because we’ve become too predictable.”
However, Brad Thorn, the game’s greatest cross-code star, said he believed some progress had been made despite the Wallabies’ fade at the end of last year, where they lost seven of their last eight Tests.
“I think last year was a really good result with the Lions,” said Thorn, who won the Rugby World Cup in 2011 with the All Blacks after his 2007 move from the Brisbane Broncos, where he won three titles and a Super League crown.
“But it was a long season (for the Wallabies). There were a lot of younger guys and by the time they went on the end-of-year tour, they were pretty fatigued – and most of that would have been mentally. I remember playing the Springboks in 2009 after the Lions series, and the Tests weren’t the same intensity; it takes it out of you mentally.
“So I wouldn’t feel too negative about last year, I think there was a lot of positivity with how they played against the Lions, winning games in South Africa, and they were fatigued at the end, and the tour was a step too far.”
Connolly said he was particularly concerned by the lack of depth in the front-row and uncertainty in the backs. “We’re at home, so that’s good,” he said. “If we get everything right, we can be competitive. But we haven’t sorted out the halves or centres.”
Kiss should consider accelerating the development of Super Rugby rookies Reds utility back Treyvon Pritchard, 19, and Waratahs outside back Sid Harvey, 20, who both could feature at the World Cup, he added. “I wouldn’t muck around. You bring them into the Wallabies now and take them on the end-of-season tour. They’re potentially really good players.”
One youngster who will be given every chance to feature at next year’s World Cup is Tom Lynagh, who’s believed to have recently signed a one-year contract.
The short-term deal comes after an injury-plagued nine months for the rising Wallabies playmaker, who started in all three Tests against the Lions last year. He has played just twice since last September. “I want to be part of the World Cup; that’s a massive factor,” Lynagh, 23, said on Tuesday. “It’s been really tough ... what I’m dealing with right now. I’m striving to get out there ...”
His decision to recommit will likely result in fellow playmaker Harry McLaughlin-Phillips leaving the Reds, with the Force his most likely destination.