An interview of Finnish recovery divers
AI translated article from Finnish media (Helsingin Sanomat, paywall) where Patrik Grönqvist tells about their dives in Maldives.
Divers Lost in Cave Were Found in a Small Cramped Space, Says Diver Patrik Grönqvist
According to Finnish cave divers, the recovery of the four deceased Italians from the depths went smoothly in cooperation with the authorities. Only the Finns entered the cave itself.
“A hole in the seabed.” That is how diver Patrik Grönqvist describes the opening leading to the Devana Kandu cave in the Maldives, in the Indian Ocean.
“It’s a somewhat different kind of cave from what we’re used to,” Grönqvist told Helsingin Sanomat by phone on Wednesday evening from Vaavu Atoll.
He and two other experienced Finnish cave divers, Sami Paakkarinen and Jenni Westerlund, had just recovered the bodies of two Italian divers from the underwater cave.
The other two victims had already been transported out of the cave during a demanding operation on Tuesday.
Five Italian recreational divers disappeared in the Maldives on Thursday, May 14. They were believed to have entered the cave and drowned.
The environmental organization WWF said the missing individuals included 52-year-old marine biologist Monica Montefalcone from the University of Genoa, her daughter, her student, and a colleague. The fifth victim served as their guide.
On Friday, Paakkarinen’s phone rang. He, Westerlund, and Grönqvist were in Sweden diving in a mine.
The caller was from the international diving safety organization Divers Alert Network. They asked for help.
The small community of Finnish cave divers is well known in the field. In particular, an exceptionally difficult operation carried out in Norway in the spring of 2014 is highly respected.
At that time, Paakkarinen, Grönqvist, and a group of other Finnish divers recovered the bodies of two of their fellow Finnish divers who had died in the Plura cave at a depth of 130 meters.
Norwegian authorities would have left the bodies there because they considered the mission too dangerous.
Grönqvist, Paakkarinen, and Westerlund immediately set off on Friday to drive to Stockholm. They quickly stopped by the grocery store chain ICA to buy shorts.
Grönqvist works as a rescue officer for the Helsinki City Rescue Department. He had to request leave for the trip. It was granted even though staffing at the station was at minimum strength.
On the way to the airport, they learned that there was one more victim.
Maldivian rescue divers had been sent to search for the Italians. One of them had now died.
Only one of the missing Italians had been found.
“That’s when we realized we were really needed.”
On Sunday morning, Grönqvist, Paakkarinen, and Westerlund arrived in Malé, the capital of the Maldives. Planning for the operation began immediately with the local authorities. Representatives from the Italian embassy were also present.
Paakkarinen took on the role of team leader.
By evening, they had already arrived at Vaavu Atoll in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
Four people were still missing.
The first dive was carried out on Monday. Grönqvist and Paakkarinen descended into the cave and began searching through it. Grönqvist laid guideline ropes while Paakkarinen documented everything on video. Westerlund coordinated the operation from above near the boats.
Inside the cave it was dark, and they advanced only by the light of their lamps. Nothing could be seen. Grönqvist began to fear that if the Italians had in fact made it out of the cave and drowned only afterward, the bodies might never be found.
There was enormous pressure.
“There was a huge amount of trust placed in us, and the whole world was watching. What if we don’t find anyone?”
They were almost at the far end of the cave when they noticed traces left by divers on the bottom.
Grönqvist and Paakkarinen began following them. They discovered a side tunnel branching off to the left and proceeded into it.
This tunnel headed in almost the same direction as the main passage. They continued for about fifty meters. The tunnel became narrower, rose slightly upward, and ended in a dead end.
First, around a bend, the light from their lamps reflected off a scuba tank.
That was how the victims were found — all four together in a small, dark, cramped space.
The entrance to the cave is at a depth of 55 meters. At the deepest point, Grönqvist and Paakkarinen descended to 70 meters. The bodies were found at around 60 meters.
Grönqvist estimates that the distance from where the victims were found to the cave entrance was about 150 meters.
“That’s not actually a very long distance.”
“But if you can’t see anything in the tunnel and don’t have equipment suited for that environment, then it’s a damn long distance.”
The first two bodies were recovered from the cave on Tuesday.
Before the recovery, Paakkarinen and Grönqvist ran a strong guideline from the surface of the sea all the way to the cave entrance. The victims were carefully attached to it using carabiners.
Divers from the Maldivian Coast Guard and police assisted the Finns. However, they were not allowed to descend deeper than 30 meters after one of their own divers had drowned.
An underwater drone was also sent to the entrance of the cave. Its video feed allowed people on the boats above to monitor what was happening below.
When everything was ready for lifting the bodies, divers descended from the boats to meet them. They carried the bodies the rest of the way to the surface, because the Finnish divers still had to remain underwater for another two hours to carry out so-called “decos,” or decompression stops. During these stops, nitrogen leaves the body, helping to prevent decompression sickness.
On Wednesday, the other two bodies were recovered in the same way.
Tuesday’s dive lasted somewhat over three hours, Wednesday’s slightly less.
“It went quite well.”
Patrik Grönqvist does not know why the Italian group had entered the cave. That is what puzzles him. They did not appear to have the equipment required for cave diving.
Beyond that, he cannot speculate about the causes of the diving accident. That was agreed upon with the authorities. A police investigation will be conducted into the incident. The divers will be interviewed for it before leaving Malé, the capital of the Maldives.
According to Grönqvist, a diagram of the cave structure circulating online is inaccurate.
“We’ve tried drawing it ourselves a bit, and it’s really difficult.”
He estimates the total length of the cave to be about 150 meters.
“I’ve made three dives there now, and even so I’m still not completely certain how the passages run.”
The first chamber was more than ten meters wide and about five meters high. After that, the cave narrowed into a tunnel that at its lowest point was only one meter high.
The recovery operation has been closely followed by international media. In just a couple of days, thousands of new followers have appeared on Grönqvist’s Instagram account.
The Maldivian authorities had to keep Italian television crews farther away from the recovery site.
The Finns were given permission to give interviews to the Italian media, but for that they had to take a boat out to sea to a location where no nearby resort island could be seen in the background.
The Maldivian economy depends heavily on tourism, and this was reportedly the worst diving accident in the country’s history.
Local people fear that the holiday paradise will now become associated with tragedy.
In Grönqvist’s view, the rescue operation has not been technically difficult for experienced cave divers, but physically and psychologically it has been exhausting.
It has been difficult to get enough sleep. Even though Grönqvist is a professional, it is hard to keep the victims’ final moments in the cave out of his mind.
He praises the local people for their help. Without them, everything would have taken much longer.
On Thursday afternoon, Grönqvist and Sami Paakkarinen will dive into the cave one final time. Their departure had to be postponed because of the strong currents around the atoll.
They want to remove the guideline ropes they attached inside the cave so that they will not later tempt anyone else to enter.
In the Maldives, diving below 30 meters is prohibited. Decompression diving is not allowed.
“It’s actually a fine little cave and not technically demanding at all, if you have good equipment and an experienced cave diver.”
A shark patrols the entrance to the cave, but apparently it is the kind “that doesn’t attack.” On Wednesday, however, they encountered a tiger shark instead. That one can be dangerous.
“At least it was considerably bigger than Sami when it came up next to him.”
“But it left immediately afterward. And we didn’t really have time to focus on it.”