Santa Clara DA Says Deputies Lawfully Shot, Killed Knife-Wielding Man
Finding videos takes time and effort; keep me motivated by donating to https://paypal.me/thisisbutter or Cashapp $thisisbutter1
Santa Clara, CA - The Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office announced Wednesday that it concluded two sheriff's deputies lawfully shot and killed a suicidal man who charged at them with a knife last year in San Jose.
Prosecutors published a report that determined the man, 43-year-old Jose Martinez-Nolasco, had "no interest" in peacefully resolving a traffic standoff with law enforcement officers, and that the deputies lawfully used deadly force because they were in the face of danger.
The shooting occurred on Oct. 27, 2025, after Sheriff's Deputy Christian Spinola made a traffic stop at Fruitdale and Leigh avenues in San Jose at 7:30 p.m. The stop was made because the vehicle allegedly had expired registration tags, the District Attorney's Office said.
The driver, Martinez-Nolasco, pulled over, but then quickly tried to get away before pulling over again, prosecutors said.
Martinez-Nolasco then allegedly refused to exit his vehicle and began barricading himself inside, before deputies responding to a call for emergency assistance made by Spinola helped surround Martinez-Nolasco's vehicle with three patrol vehicles.
A standoff ensued for more than two hours while deputies and members of the county's Psychiatric Emergency Response Team tried to deescalate the situation, prosecutors said.
During the stalemate, Martinez-Nolasco allegedly admitted that he was suicidal, saying that he had "talked with death" and would rather die than return to jail. According to the District Attorney's Office, a deputy tried directing Martinez-Nolasco to mental health professionals at the scene, but Martinez-Nolasco refused to accept help, allegedly saying that the only way the deputies could end the standoff was by killing him.
At 9:30 p.m., a deputy fired pepper ball rounds through the rear window of Martinez-Nolasco's vehicle, causing him to exit his vehicle, prosecutors said.
Martinez-Nolasco then exited his vehicle through the passenger door and allegedly attacked deputies on the scene with what prosecutors described as a large knife.
When Martinez-Nolasco ignored the deputies' alleged calls for him to drop his weapon, he was shot by two deputies with multiple rounds of 40mm less-lethal projectile rounds, prosecutors said.
However, Martinez-Nolasco continued to refuse to surrender his weapon and kept charging at the deputies, allegedly causing Deputy Jose Rios and Deputy Douglas Ulrich to fear for their own safety and shoot Nolasco six times, according to the District Attorney's Office.
Martinez-Nolasco was subsequently pronounced dead at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center.
A preliminary toxicology screening later revealed Martinez-Nolasco had been under the influence of methamphetamine and amphetamines, prosecutors said.