

[Fernando Czyz] Cuti Romero has thanked Barça, Inter and Arsenal for their interest, and has decided to play for Atlético Madrid
The Argentine defender thanked Barcelona and Arsenal for their interest but has begun the final stretch to seal his transfer to Atlético Madrid. Diego Simeone's persistence over the past three transfer windows was crucial in securing the Spanish capital as his destination after leaving Tottenham. Speculation about the future of Cristian 'Cuti' Romero is starting to give way to clarity regarding the Argentine defender's future after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur, and all signs point to Madrid to play for 'Cholo' Simeone's Atlético , after thanking Inter Milan, Barcelona and Arsenal for their interest in recent hours. The Argentine coach's repeated interest in signing the defender over the last three transfer windows was key to 'Cuti' choosing Madrid despite interest from the 'Gunners' and 'Barça' in acquiring the Scaloneta international. The defender, after several twists and turns in the last transfer window, had extended his contract with Tottenham until June 2029. However, this agreement, reached in August of last year, included a clause allowing for a potential sale in the summer of 2026 if a fee close to the €47 million target set by Spurs was reached. Although tax issues, bonuses, and the player's salary remain to be resolved, meetings between the directors of the 'Colchonero' team, their counterparts at Tottenham, and the player's representatives will increase this afternoon to reach a full agreement so that the defender can arrive in Madrid between Wednesday and Thursday.
BREAKING - Cuti Romero has thanked Barça, Inter and Arsenal for their interest, and has decided to play for Atlético Madrid
Antoine Griezmann scores his first goal for Orlando City in the friendly match against Tampa Bay Rowdies.
Atleti CEO Gil Marin: I deeply regret Julián's words. It was not the day to make those statements. It was Messi’s day and Argentina’s day, not his.
The Atlético de Madrid he wanted to come forward regarding the situation caused by the statements of Julian Alvarez in which “requested a transfer” to fulfill his land and his CEO, Miguel Ángel Gil Marín, has spoken to Efe to clarify your position and how the situation now looks.
And Atlético, as AS reported this Monday, will file a complaint with the FIFA against Barcelona for negotiating with Argentine striker Julián Alvarez “with a contract in force during the protected period”, as he explained to Efe Miguel Ángel Gil Marín, CEO of the red and white entity.
“Our responsibility is to defend the interests of Atlético de Madrid and that is why we are going to file a complaint with FIFA against Barcelona for negotiating with a player with a current contract during the protected period”, said the manager.
The Atlético leader reacted to the statements of the Argentine attacker, with a current contract with him Atlético de Madrid until June 30, 2030, at the end of the match on the second day of the World Cup between his team and Austria. Julian Alvarez he noted that “is best for everyone is a transfer” and wants “to fulfill” his “dream”.
“I am very sorry for your words. It was not the day to make those statements, it was the day of Messi and the Argentine team, not from Julián”, Gil Marín told Efe this Tuesday.
“Julián has a dream and we athletes also have dreams. It is true that he has spoken with us, but it is also true that he knows our position perfectly because we have been very clear: atleti does not want to transfer its rights. "He is a great player and we are very proud that he plays with us", said the CEO.
In that sense, Gil Marín remarked: “Barcelona disrespects us, they believe that they can ignore us, that we are weak or stupid. But what they are actually showing the world is a way of acting that defines them”. “They lie to us, to the player, to the media and they also lie to their own fans. They try to make everyone believe that they can aspire to undertake an operation for which they are not really qualified. It is not the first time that Barcelona acts like this and the world of football is perfectly aware. Last year they did something very similar to Nico Williams and Athletic Club”, he added.
The Argentine attacker has contract until 2030 with Atlético de Madrid, which has repeatedly stated that the forward is not for sale, in addition to referring to the termination clause of 500 million of euros against Barcelona's movements for his signing. Julian Alvarez it arrived two years ago from the Manchester City to Atlético, with whom he has scored 49 goals in 106 games throughout these two seasons.