
Our Football Director, Oğuz Çetin: ‘We’re heading to Lyon to progress to the next round’
Our Football Director, Oğuz Çetin, spoke to the press following our 1–1 draw with Olympique Lyonnais.
Assessing the match and expressing his confidence in progressing to the next round, Çetin said, “Once again, the fantastic Fenerbahçe fans packed the stadium and backed the team. That was crucial. It kept the team going. We played our third match in a week. The team gave their all in terms of effort. That is encouraging. The team still has some way to go to be more effective in terms of play. We need to raise our fitness and physical condition to a higher level. We need to be more effective in the final third. In matches like this, we also need to secure the result. Today, we all experienced this together. We were right there with the players on the pitch. We’ll be travelling to Lyon to progress to the next round. Our belief is very high. Our players believe in this. Fenerbahçe will continue on this path, despite all the difficult circumstances.”
When asked about the request to postpone the Konyaspor match to be played on Saturday evening, our Football Director Oğuz Çetin said, “We made a request regarding the Gençlerbirliği match, given the challenging period facing the great Fenerbahçe Sports Club and, in particular, the prospect of qualifying for the Champions League for the first time in 17 years. We did not make this request on a whim. In particular, the fact that the Gençlerbirliği match was scheduled for the 15th of the month following the Sturm Graz match, whilst the Lyon match was on the 18th, meant that the team’s physical recovery, rest, completion of preparations and travel times posed a major handicap for us. We made this request once. The Football Federation rejected our valid reasons. I do not consider it appropriate to make any further requests of the Federation that issued this response. At the same time, I declare, alongside our President, Mr Aziz Yıldırım, that from day one we have made it clear we would not make such requests under any circumstances. We have no such request. With our self-confidence and conviction, we will take to the pitch for the Konya match and win that fixture. Immediately afterwards, we will travel to Lyon and progress to the next round. We are very determined in this regard. We have never had such a request. Following this rejection, it would not be right to make any further requests of that organisation.”
Our Football Director, Oğuz Çetin, had the following to say regarding the transfer of a domestic centre-back should Milan Skriniar and Nathan Aké be considered as options:
“Everything is on the table. We are continuing with all our efforts until the transfer window closes on 2 September. We are working not just on that position – centre-back – but on every position. Wherever we have a need, this work is continuing. We’ll see the results in the coming days.”
Speaking about Marco Asensio’s pre-season preparations and performance, Oğuz Çetin said:
“We’re experiencing some physical difficulties with certain players due to their late start to the pre-season and the fact that they’re gradually building up their fitness. Just as we said when Romelu Lukaku first arrived – ‘He needs a build-up’ – today it’s 15 minutes, then 20 minutes in the next match, then 30 minutes… If we are to help him find his match rhythm by protecting him and improving his fitness, the same applies to Marco Asensio at an earlier stage. As you know, he was unable to play football for a long time last year following his injury. He went on holiday and rejoined the squad afterwards. Since rejoining the squad, he has been going through the process of getting himself physically ready again. As you may recall, I said on television, ‘I’ll say Marco, and nothing else.’ But he too needs to go through this process step by step and reach the desired level of fitness. That is why Marco Asensio is our most valuable player. He, too, needs time. Our loyal supporters should know that Marco Asensio is a player we cannot do without, just as he is a player our manager, İsmail Kartal, cannot do without. However, every player needs time. Marco still needs time to reach his desired form. You saw Nene today; he’s started to make a step-by-step return following his operation. Even though he wasn’t 100 per cent ready today, he took his place in the team. He played his first match as he works to regain his match rhythm. He, too, will progress step by step. These are challenging weeks for the players. We will go through these difficult phases until the players are 100 per cent fit. Asensio is a very important player for us. He, too, needs time to improve his form. He is doing so step by step.”