







Sedins and Johnson already backing up their promises.
COLOR ME OPTIMISTIC.
He really is one of the greats of colour commentary. These playoffs are missing good broadcasting right now.
More Linden being messy:
"When I talk about a united front, I mean, these [Twins & RJ] are the hockey people. They're going to have a vision, they're going to trust one another to stick with it, and they're going to talk about it, and they're going to be able to trust one another.
There's going to be, hopefully, no 'go-arounds' and nobody talking on the side. That's critical."
Just a thought. If a free agent doesn't want to come to Vancouver because they're "forced" to do community work, the team has immediately prevented a potential selfish dickhead who could erode locker room culture from being an issue.
Glad to see the Sedins/RJ were already out and about doing stuff themselves today to set the example.
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/32-thoughts-the-podcast/id1332150124?i=1000768712066
Copied from transcript, it’s right at start of podcast
“Now, I was on with the Sadshaw and Biknazar on Tuesday night and we were talking about the decision.
And I don't know about you, Kyle, but it sure looks to me like this isn't much of a search beyond Manny Malhotra. And I think a lot of people will be surprised if it isn't Manny Malhotra. First of all, Ryan Johnson, in his availability, said we've got to sit down and talk to him and see how he feels.
And number two, the thing that really interested me, Kyle, is that I've heard like in the scouting community out there, they believe there's a real legit chance the Canucks take Caleb Malhotra at three. Who knows? There's six weeks between now and the draft.
Lots of things can happen. But talking six weeks out today, if you were to tell people in the amateur scouting community that Caleb Malhotra is going to the Vancouver Canucks, they would believe you without a question. That said, Ryan Johnson was asked about that, and his answer wasn't, well, we'll have to sit down and talk to Manny and see how he feels about that.”
To me, it seems the writing is on the wall here, the hiring process will be short and sweet.
The difference between how the Canucks handled the Adam Foote situation and the Bruce Boudreau firing is pretty telling.
With Foote, Manny being in line made it obvious something was coming, but Johnson didn’t hang the season on him. They made the move quickly, didn’t deny change was coming, and at least framed it in a way that didn’t publicly throw him under the bus (in fact, they went out of their way to say that it wasn't fully his fault.)
The Boudreau situation under Rutherford and Allvin was the opposite. It dragged on for weeks, everyone knew what was happening, and Boudreau was left in a weird public limbo before Tocchet arrived. Even if the hockey decision made sense, it was a completely avoidable PR debacle, and also fit their broader tendency to be far too open to the media and air organizational dirty laundry in public.
At last week’s presser, they talked about changing the culture and making people proud to be Canucks fans again - I think this is the kind of thing that actually matters for that. The on-ice results are one thing, but I'm encouraged that the new regime seems to understand the importance of building an organization that embodies professionalism and treating others with respect.