City stumps up for new Vic Square Christmas tree

Victoria Square is set to welcome a brand-new Christmas tree ahead of this year’s Christmas celebrations as the city council announced it would spend $836,000 on this year’s festive decorations.

A City of Adelaide spokesperson said the fake tree has been ordered from an Australian-based company, but its final cost and appearance is being kept under wraps for now.

indailysa.com.au
u/Expensive-Horse5538 — 19 hours ago
▲ 166 r/Adelaide

Axe falls on OzAsia festival after twenty years

The OzAsia festival later this year will be its last after running for two decades in Adelaide, the Festival Centre has announced.

It comes a week after Laneway announced it would not return to Adelaide, and after the Adelaide Festival Centre quietly killed off Adelaide Guitar Festival in December after nearly two decades.

Slingsby Theatre Company has also closed after almost 20 years, and other major music festivals, Harvest Rock, Vintage Vibes and Groovin’ the Moo have departed our festival state as the industry faces a reckoning.

Adelaide University senior lecturer in festival and event management Boram Lee said she was about to begin teaching a unit about community festivals this week when she discovered this year’s OzAsia festival – which will run from October 9 to November 1 – would be the last.

“That was really shocking; I couldn’t understand why because it’s such a celebratory moment in Adelaide…a lot of my students come from Southeast Asia, Asia or around Europe internationally; they really love OzAsia Festival because it gives them a sense of belonging in this country,” Lee said.

Lee said to axe the festival “without asking the public” was “a very disrespectful decision”.
“Most local artists, they’re frustrated; they feel hopeless because it has provided them so many opportunities and they were looking forward to having the festival coming,” she said.

“Audiences are very angry; they have that sense of ownership of this festival because 20 years, that’s such a long period.”

Adelaide Festival Centre CEO Kate Gould said the decision to end OzAsia after 20 years was strategic after hearing from stakeholders that “having a dedicated OzAsia Festival that’s about Asian arts doesn’t really represent the fact that Asian voices also want to see a year-round presence at the centre”.

“That’s where we’re focussed is to make sure that’s occurring on a year-round basis, rather than concentrated so it doesn’t just happen one time of the year,” Gould said.

indailysa.com.au
u/Expensive-Horse5538 — 23 hours ago

AFL Injury report: Aliir in protocols, JHF to miss

Injury list
Zak Butters (ankle) - test
Aliir Aliir (concussion protocols)
Logan Evans (shoulder) - season
Kane Farrell (groin) - season
Jason Horne-Francis (toe) - season
Mani Liddy (hip) - season
Ollie Lord (knee) - season
Jack Lukosius (baker's cyst/knee) - season
Ewan Mackinlay (knee) - season
Sam Powell-Pepper (training block) - season
Esava Ratugolea (patella tendon) - season
Connor Rozee (hamstring/nerve) - season
Josh Sinn (shoulder) - season
Jack Watkins (hamstring) - season

portadelaidefc.com.au
u/Expensive-Horse5538 — 2 days ago

AFLW Injury report: Syme and Window a test to face Hawks

Injury list 
Sachi Syme (hamstring) - test
Piper Window (foot) - test
Chloe Gaunt (hip) - 1-3 weeks
Ellie Hampson (hip) - 5-7 weeks
Jasmine Sowden (foot) - 6-8 weeks
Jemma Charity (knee) - season 
Caitlin Wendland (training block) - season

portadelaidefc.com.au
u/Expensive-Horse5538 — 2 days ago

SA reveals five-year plan to roll out domestic violence royal commission reforms

The SA government has committed to a five-year plan to implement recommendations of the recent Royal Commission into Domestic, Family and Sexual Violence, as it forges ahead with restrictions on alcohol sales.

The government said it had already "completed" responses to 12 of the 136 recommendations and that work was "underway towards a further 25".
At the time of its initial response to the royal commission, it accepted 129 of the recommendations either "in full, in principle or in part".

Among the steps currently being undertaken was the introduction of new legislation to regulate home delivery of alcohol.

The government said the reforms would be introduced to parliament this week, and would include the restriction of same-day alcohol delivery to between 10am and 10pm.

abc.net.au
u/Expensive-Horse5538 — 2 days ago

Firefighters union lodges workplace tribunal dispute against SA Metropolitan Fire Service

The firefighters union claims South Australian MFS firefighters are not being provided sufficient protective equipment.

The MFS says its equipment meets industry standards and is sufficient to ensure firefighters can safely respond to calls.

The union has lodged a dispute with the workplace tribunal.

abc.net.au
u/Expensive-Horse5538 — 3 days ago

Former Alan Jones colleague recalls telling rival Ray Hadley of alleged indecent assault

A complainant in Alan Jones's indecent assault trial has told a court how he declined to go public about allegations regarding the broadcaster.

The man, who cannot be identified, initially told his story to rival radio host Ray Hadley and author Peter FitzSimons.

He is giving evidence for the second day after telling a court last week Mr Jones kissed him without consent.

abc.net.au
u/Expensive-Horse5538 — 3 days ago

Belair Line - disruptions and delays to continue until end of August

Due to the ongoing damage to rail infrastructure, there will be delays and disruptions to the Belair line until the end of August as repair works continue.

Weekday Services:
There may be delays of up to 20 minutes in both directions.

The train departing Adelaide at 6:58am will terminate at Blackwood at 7:38am. A shuttle bus will operate, stopping at Glenalta, Belair, and Pinera.

The train departing Belair at 7:52am will commence from Blackwood at 7:58am. A shuttle bus will operate, commencing at Pinera, and stopping at Belair and Glenalta.

The 2:56pm, 4:58pm, 5:28pm, and 5:57pm trains from Adelaide to Belair will not operate.

The 3:40pm train from Belair to Adelaide will not operate.

Passengers are advised to catch alternate bus routes if impacted by changes.

Note that the Belair line will be partially closed each night this week until Thursday, from 8:45pm each night, between Adelaide and Mitcham as part of works on the new women’s and children’s hospital - substitute buses will operate.

Weekend Services
At this stage, it is expected that services to Belair may be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Delays to city bound services are not expected.

There may be reduced footy express trains.

Note that the Belair line will be partially closed next weekend between Adelaide and Mitcham as part of works on the new women’s and children’s hospital - substitute buses will operate.

adelaidemetro.com.au
u/Expensive-Horse5538 — 3 days ago

Port Adelaide to leave SANFL at the end of the 2028 season

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-ceo-matthew-richardson-on-zak-butters-and-exiting-the-sanfl/news-story/a064654b7934e121626e95b75d37ac88

>Richardson told SEN the Power’s side would also exit the SANFL at the end of 2028 as the club attempted to find a league which would fast-track their kids.

>The Power would need to travel more if they were to enter the VFL but he said the SANFL competition was not strong enough to develop Port Adelaide’s emerging kids.

reddit.com
u/Expensive-Horse5538 — 4 days ago

A great start to the AFLW season

Was a bit worried there might be some teething issues which could impact our chances of a win, however, given last time we faced Fremantle we lost to them by 22 points, I'd say a 21 point win over them is an improvement.

While it is only just the first game, I have already got a good feeling about this season.

u/Expensive-Horse5538 — 4 days ago