
Catholic schools chief denies wiping critical evidence after performing factory reset on phone, Icac hears | Independent Commission Against Corruption
The chief executive of Catholic Schools NSW has denied he performed a factory reset on a work phone and iPad to wipe critical evidence for an investigation into allegations of corruption in the New South Wales Liberal party, an inquiry has heard.
On Wednesday afternoon, Dallas McInerney revealed he had performed the factory reset over the weekend after giving evidence to the NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption (Icac) last week.
On Friday, McInerney was asked to provide messages between him and Reformer Jean-Claude Perrottet in 2021, which he has shared with the commission.
But asked on Wednesday if his phone contained messages between him and other Reformers, McInerney revealed he had reset the device on Saturday morning, knowingly wiping its data, after his bank contacted him on Friday to tell him his account had been “compromised by an unknown merchant”.
He said he performed a factory reset on an iPad, which remained in his possession alongside the phone ahead of being surrendered to Catholic Schools NSW, “in the realisation I’m not likely returning to the company”.
Counsel assisting, Dr Peggy Dwyer SC, put it to McInerney that the move was “a transparent attempt … to wipe evidence that would have been critical for this commission”.
McInerney responded that he had known about Icac’s public inquiry “for almost seven or eight weeks”.
“Had I wanted to do any malfeasance of that nature, I would have had quite a runway to do that. What triggered it was a compromise on my banking alerted to me by the NAB [National Australia Bank], and I have the case file number for that. I can share that with the commission.”
McInerney said he had not transferred any of the contents, which included personal messages and family photos, from his Catholic Schools NSW phone to the iCloud before resetting it, but said some additional messages had been provided to his legal team.
On Wednesday afternoon, the commission called for all messages between McInerney and members of the Reformers between April 2019 and July 2023 to be made available by 1pm on Thursday.
McInerney admitted to meeting with Reformers Robert Assaf and Jeremy Greenwood in the weeks before the inquiry. Icac has previously heard that Assaf met with Greenwood on multiple occasions this year, with Assaf claiming they had discussed his summons.
McInerney said his meeting with Assaf, which was attended by both men’s sisters, was a “check-in on Robert”. He said he met with Greenwood on at least two occasions, with the men discussing “matters in the public domain” relating to Icac’s inquiry.
‘Pestering’ Angus Taylor
On Wednesday, the inquiry heard that McInerney, a factional ally of Angus Taylor, “pestered” the now opposition leader for a meeting with a member of a Christian Liberal factional group under investigation for soliciting illegal donations.
McInerney, who last week denied a message about a plan to “shake down Angus” referred to donations to the group, was asked on Wednesday about a 2020 request to help organise a meeting with Taylor by Reformer Christian Ellis.
Icac heard messages between and McInerney and Ellis about setting up a meeting between Ellis and Taylor in February 2020, when he was federal energy minister.
After an initial request was unsuccessful, Ellis wrote days later to McInerney: “I know I’m being a pest, but any luck with Angus by any chance? Next Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday?”
McInerney wrote back: “Don’t worry about pestering. That’s how things happen. I’m pestering him [Taylor] big time”.
On Wednesday, McInerney accepted that messages, including one in which Ellis wrote “You’re a legend”, showed it appeared he had secured the meeting with Taylor.