▲ 291 r/theydidthemath+1 crossposts

This just seems like an improbable task

[Off the bat, this isn't really a commentary on the person, but the title of the video and possibly the project as a whole, if it's a real thing they're trying to do.]

I stumbled across this video, and the idea kinda just blew my mind.

let's say this person is being legitimately serious (which I frankly doubt) and decided to go all the way back to the first RECORDED piece of music to present day (presumably) in chronological order. Okay, cool.

How?

It seems like a mathematically impossible feat for a person to accomplish. There's the subjectivity of music ( I guess that doesn't apply since they said that "People call me crazy because I don't listen to music"), there's thousands of genres, there's music not uploaded onto the internet, and then there's the damn internet itself. According to YouTube, 20 million videos get uploaded on the platform daily. SoundCloud alone had nearly 400 million songs on the platform last year. Spotify has 60 thousand every day!

u/Neither_Anteater_904 — 17 days ago

antwerp is in belgium

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c621dx0vl7xo

Five people have died and several others have been injured in a fire that broke out in a 10-storey block of flats in Antwerp, Belgian police say.

Thick smoke was seen billowing from the eighth floor of the building in the Linkeroever district, after the fire broke out just before 10:00 (08:00 GMT) on Wednesday.

Dramatic video showed a man clambering from his balcony through a neighbour's window to escape the black smoke.

Police say more than 200 people live in the block and the fire department evacuated 80 flats in the building.

They say the fire was caused by a technical problem on the ground floor.

"It has claimed a heavy toll here at Linkeroever," police spokeswoman Kim Bastiaens told Belgian public TV, adding that a number of people had suffered from serious and minor injuries.

Police had earlier spoken of six deaths but later revised the number down to five and during the afternoon the Antwerp fire service said the fire had been put out.

Philippe, King of the Belgians, later travelled to Linkeroever to meet some of the residents evacuated to a residential care centre and visit the scene of the fire.

Resident Geert Dewulf told VRT how thick smoke had stopped him getting out of his flat: "We barricaded ourselves into our flat and waited on the balcony. The fire brigade came to rescue us from the balcony 10 minutes or so later with their ladder."

Image source,BELGA MAG/Belga/AFP

Image caption,

Smoke was seen billowing from the top three floors of the 10-storey block

Firefighters said they were going from flat to flat to search for possible victims, explaining that the smoke had spread quickly through the building, making it harder to evacuate people.

Another man said his parents-in-law, one of them ex-mayor of Antwerp Bob Cools, had been successfully evacuated from the building and taken to hospital.

"We tried our utmost to save the cat but unfortunately in the end we were unable to," he said.

Antwerp fire brigade spokeswoman Marie de Clercq said it was a complex fire and the poor visibility and thick smoke in the building had made it difficult to put out.

Prime Minister Bart De Wever said his thoughts were with the victims and the evacuated residents of the "terrible fire" in Linkeroever.

The Flemish parliament began its session on Wednesday afternoon with a minute's silence for the victims of the fire.

u/krizzalicious49 — 2 months ago
▲ 285 r/whennews

no one wsa injured. irish police dont think the attack is linked to racist or far-right elements and their investigation is still ongoing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cwyl8e2gd27o

A man in his 40s has been charged after a suspected arson attack at an Islamic prayer hall in Dublin.

It happened at the Al Madinah Hall on Talbot Street at about 15:35 local time on Monday.

No one was injured.

The man appeared before the Criminal Courts of Justice on Wednesday.

A gardaí (Irish police) investigation into the blaze is ongoing.

The fire, which caused damage to the property, was extinguished by the Dublin Fire Brigade.

Four fire engines and a turntable ladder carrying over 20 firefighters and paramedics alongside a district officer were dispatched to the scene.

Image source,Bairbre Holmes/PA Wire

Image caption,

A gardaí investigation into the blaze is ongoing

Irish broadcaster RTÉ has reported that gardaí are following a definite line of inquiry and do not believe the attack is linked to racist or far-right elements.

Gardaí have appealed to anyone with information or footage to come forward.

u/krizzalicious49 — 2 months ago