
u/108CA

Family left without electricity after VW Tiguan crashes into telegraph pole outside their home
>A family has been left without electricity after a 12-year-old boy joyriding his mother's Volkswagen Tiguan crashed into a telegraph pole outside their home.
>Lorraine and Matthew Tricksey were startled awake by a loud crash that left their home in rural Horton, Dorset without power at 2am on Friday.
>Initially the husband and wife thought they could hear a 'drunken party' taking place on their drive, but after investigating they discovered a car had crashed outside.
>The young boy had driven a staggering 38 miles from Salisbury in Wiltshire before ending his joyride at the property in Dorset.
>Mrs Tricksey recalled the alarming early morning crash. She said: 'We woke up suddenly at 2am, I think that was the impact.
>'We suddenly realised we were in complete blackness, which was because the telegraph poles had been knocked down and our electricity knocked out.
>'All we could hear outside was laughing, it sounded like a drunken party in our front drive, we weren't sure what to do because we didn't know who it was.'
>After the police arrived, the couple ventured outside and found that the telegraph poles had been knocked down and there were 'live wires everywhere'.
>But Mr and Mrs Tricksey were most surprised when officers called his mother to collect him rather than taking him away themselves.
>Mrs Tricksey continued: 'They told us the boy was only 12. He's lucky he walked away from it.
>'They got his mum to come and pick him up so he didn't even get taken off in the police car.'
>Worse still, the VW Tiguan wreckage remains outside their home and it has caused them a whole host of issues.
>The couple claim the broken car and trees have stopped them from leaving the house and they have not been told when it will be cleared.
>The telegraph pole providing electricity to their home has also yet to be restored so they are relying on a temporary generator from the electric company.
>Mrs Tricksey vented her frustration about the problems the car crash has caused her and her husband.
>'We've still got the car stuck out there, it's a hell of a mess and blocking our driveway,' she said.
>'My husband asked the police if they could tidy up because we didn't want all the car parts and broken trees left there and they said we would have to contact Highways.'
>She added: 'We have got all the mess to sort out, it's just not right.'
>However, she believes that the 12-year-old did not act alone, claiming others were involved in the crash.
>'We don't think the boy was on his own, we think somebody came out and picked up some people,' she said.
>'Before the police arrived we heard another car come up screeching and there was shouting then it went quiet.
>'The police said that was somebody trying to help but we don't think so.'
>Dorset Police were approached for comment.
Passing on a solid white while going into a blind corner….
High level of dumbfuckery
Little Seoul of Shenyang or Xita, Korean Street
I came to Shenyang but decided to stroll around and look for Korean food in the Little Seoul area... The food tasted good. This area truly lives up to its "Little Seoul" name with many Korean restaurants.
Offering: English or Chinese | Seeking: Thai or Khmer
I am 33 year old married American man & I'd like to learn Thai or Khmer. I'm fluent in English & Mandarin Chinese. Thank you.
Cutting across a lorry on the roundabout doesn't go well
Black VW assumes the lorry will be turming left at the second exit, even though the lorry is indicating right. VW cuts across the lorry and gets hit. I've seen plenty of near misses on this sub at roundabouts, so here's an example of someone's luck running out.
Why slow down for cyclists, bumps, or even if the car in front has a "baby"-carrying sticker?
Mum gets son’s Audi back after 174kph in Laois, Ireland
>The mother of a 17-year-old unaccompanied learner driver, who was caught driving an Audi A4 2-litre car at 174kph in a 120kph zone, made an application at Portlaoise District Court for the return of her son’s car.
>She told Judge Andrew Cody that the car was seized by gardaí and impounded after he was stopped for speeding last month.
>She said her son, who was a minor at the time of the incident and as such cannot be identified, lives in Kerry and works in Armagh and needs transport for his employment.
>She said that, if the court approved the return of the car, it would be sold and her son would purchase a smaller car or a van.
>She told the judge that her son told her that he didn’t realise that he was travelling at such a speed, to which Judge Cody said: “I can guarantee you, if I was travelling at 174kph, I’d know all about it.”
>Judge Cody asked the woman: “Did you know that he was travelling on his own and unaccompanied by a qualified driver from Kerry to Armagh? Did you know that he was a learner driver or did you know and said to him ‘fair enough, off you go’?”
>The young man took the stand. He was asked by Judge Cody what he had to say about the application to have his car returned.
>He replied: “I apologise for the speed I was doing.”
>Judge Cody said that he would have to weigh up whether, if the car was returned, he wouldn’t end up reading a newspaper that three women were mowed down in Tralee by someone speeding in an Audi car.
>The judge asked the teen: “Is that what you really wanted at 17 years of age, a 2-litre Audi?” to which he replied: “Probably not.”
>He added: “I was just travelling on the road and didn’t look at the speed I was doing.”
>Judge Cody said: “A 17-year-old learner driver, unaccompanied, driving a 2-litre Audi and he didn’t look at the speedometer. He had only half his driving lessons done and driving on a provisional licence.”
>The judge said that if the teenager’s mother could not give him a guarantee that the Audi would not be driven at that speed ever again, the car would be “going to the crusher”.
>Garda Sgt Jason Hughes said that gardaí stopped the car on 9 July on a motorway in Laois, impounded the car and charged the driver with dangerous driving and driving unaccompanied.
>Judge Cody said that to allow a 17-year-old learner driver to drive a high-powered car at such a speed and unaccompanied was “totally irresponsible”.
>He said he would return the car to the teenager’s mother on condition that her son never drove the car again. The car must be put up for sale immediately and, if it were not sold within 18 weeks from 23 July, it would be destroyed.
>The judge said: “Under no circumstances should a child of 17 years of age be allowed to drive such an Audi. I’ll probably see him back before me again to answer to the dangerous driving charges.”
>In a social media post at the time (photo above) titled ‘Is it a bird? Is it a plane?’, An Garda Síochána Laois/Offaly said: ‘No ... It's a 17-year-old unaccompanied learner permit holder travelling at 174 km/h on the M7. Not exactly the sort of flying lesson we recommend.
>‘The vehicle was stopped and promptly seized under Section 109 of the Road Traffic Act.
>‘Now comes the awkward conversation. The registered owner, whether that's mammy or daddy, will have to apply to the District Court if they want the car returned.’
> Gardaí added: ‘Handing over the keys to an inexperienced driver doesn't just put lives at risk. It can also leave you explaining to a judge why your car should come home.
>‘If your son or daughter has recently started driving, have that conversation today. It might be the most important driving lesson they ever receive.’
Pranburi Mini Balloon Festival Draws Strong Turnout
Ningxia's Shapotou sees a surge in visitors during the peak summer tourism season
The Shapotou scenic area in Ningxia features a unique landscape where deserts, rivers, mountains & oases converge.
Archaeologists Uncover Ancient Layers Beneath Korat City Wall
>NAKHON RATCHASIMA — Archaeologists have uncovered an Ayutthaya-era city wall and evidence of human settlement dating back as far as 2,500 years during a 20-day excavation in Nakhon Ratchasima.
>The excavation at the eastern section of Nakhon Ratchasima’s old city wall, known as Phon Lan Gate or Phon Lan Fort, along Phon Lan Road, concluded on 8 August.
>The project was jointly conducted by the 10th Regional Fine Arts Office in Nakhon Ratchasima and Nakhon Ratchasima Municipality from 20 July.
>Archaeologists expanded an excavation pit to 10 by 11 metres to further trace the city wall before preparing to backfill it to the original wall level.
>Somdet Leelamanotham, director of the Archaeology Group at the 10th Regional Fine Arts Office, along with archaeologist Wannaphong Palakawong Na Ayutthaya and staff collected soil samples before the site was backfilled.
>The samples will undergo scientific dating to establish the age of the city wall and the cultural layers found beneath it, including remains dating to the late prehistoric Iron Age.
>Students from Nakhon Ratchasima Rajabhat University and young volunteers also took part in the archaeological work.
>Wannaphong described the excavation as a major discovery in the past 20 years, saying archaeological evidence must be examined before any landscape improvements are made around the old city moat because the area forms part of Nakhon Ratchasima’s historic city.
>The excavation uncovered evidence of human settlement from the prehistoric Bronze Age through the Iron Age and into the historic period. Finds included animal bones, pottery fragments, charcoal, soot, ash and seashells, shedding light on how people lived and survived in the area around 1,500–2,500 years ago.
>Some parts of the site had previously been disturbed by land use, including the construction of government housing over ancient cultural layers.
>Archaeologists collected organic material beneath brick foundations, as well as bricks bearing traces of rice husks, for scientific dating. The results are expected to help establish when the city wall, city gates and fortifications were constructed.
>The expanded excavation has also revealed a section of the wall extending from north to south, consistent with historical records.
>The Fine Arts Office plans to meet Nakhon Ratchasima Municipality, which owns the site, to discuss developing the area as a historical tourism landmark where future generations can learn about the past through its archaeological remains and historic architecture.
>
>Previous conservation work on Nakhon Ratchasima’s city wall and gates included excavations of the northeastern wall and fort in 1999 and 2000, with restoration and landscape improvements carried out during the latter project.
>Further excavation of the western section of the city wall took place in 2006.
>Historical records from the reign of King Rama V describe Nakhon Ratchasima’s old city as roughly rectangular, with the eastern and western sides measuring about 1,000 metres and the northern and southern sides about 1,600–1,650 metres. The total perimeter was estimated at around 5,200 metres.
>The brick walls were reportedly about 4 metres high and 2.6 metres thick, with an inner walkway and an outer moat measuring about 10 metres wide.
>The records also describe 15 round defensive towers and approximately 5,300 battlements around the walls.
>Archaeological work in 1999 provided evidence of how the wall was constructed. Workers first prepared the foundations by digging and compacting layers of soil, each around 60 centimetres thick, before laying bricks and filling the base with soil.
>The bricks measured roughly 30 by 15 by 7 centimetres or 25 by 13 by 5 centimetres and were joined using earth rather than mortar. Archaeologists found that the bricks were arranged in alternating patterns to strengthen the wall.
>During the latest excavation, the city wall was identified after 11 days of work. Archaeologists are collecting soil from beneath the lowest bricks for scientific dating to determine when the wall was actually built.
>Although historical accounts have traditionally associated the construction of Nakhon Ratchasima’s city wall with the reign of King Narai, there is no surviving written evidence explicitly confirming when it was built.
>
>Scientific dating could therefore help clarify the period in which the area was incorporated into the Ayutthaya-era city.
>The excavation also revealed cultural layers predating the city wall, including evidence associated with ancient Khmer culture and the late prehistoric Iron Age.
>Archaeological work carried out over the past two years has uncovered evidence of human activity dating back to the Bronze Age, with human remains and grave goods dated to around 2,544–2,194 years ago.
>ion of the “Non Phon Lan” cultural layers has continued since 2024, providing an academic database for the Fine Arts Department and Nakhon Ratchasima Municipality.
>Authorities also plan to develop the excavation area as a public learning site, where visitors can learn about archaeological methods and young people can gain practical experience in archaeological work.
>The project is being developed under the concept of “Advancing knowledge, integrating the community”, with the aim of fostering awareness and appreciation of archaeological evidence as part of Thailand’s national cultural heritage.
If only there was visitor parking nearby….oh wait
Audi Q4 driver crashes into ice cream shop in Vernon Hills, leaving it temporarily closed
>The Vernon Hills Police Department, Countryside Fire Protection District and Mundelein Fire Department responded around 5:05 p.m. Monday to Cold Stone Creamery at The Shops at Aspen Pointe shopping center, 281 West Townline Road in Vernon Hills, for a report of a vehicle crash.
>A preliminary investigation shows a 75-year-old man was attempting to park his Audi Q4 when he accidentally confused the accelerator and brake pedal, Vernon Hills Deputy Police Chief Shannon Holubetz said.
>The Audi then crashed into the front of the ice cream shop and caused significant damage.
>The driver suffered minor and non-life-threatening injuries.
>He was not trapped and firefighters did not need to extricate him.
>Paramedics transported him to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville for treatment.
>The shift commander for the Countryside Fire Protection District said that around four people, including employees, were inside the store at the time.
>No customers or employees were injured.
>The crash left debris and broken glass scattered on the sidewalk and in the store.
>Multiple chairs and tables were also knocked down.
>A structural collapse technician with the Countryside Fire Protection District responded to evaluate the building’s structural integrity.
>The technician did not find any immediate concerns with the structure, the shift commander said.
>Firefighters remained on scene to assist with damage removal.
>A flatbed tow truck with Ernie’s Wrecker Service responded and removed the Audi, which sustained heavy front-end damage.